Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Focus: Being more Fiscally Responsible and CVS

So, in an effort to be more fiscally conscious this year, I have been looking at the sales and clipping/printing coupons.  I am stockpiling items we need/use when they are on sale versus paying full price.  Of course, before I embark on something I have to research it until the cows come home.  And I have hit the motherload of advice on how to save money....it is like a cult out there on saving money at CVS, Walgreens, Publix, etc.  I did my first purchase at CVS today using my new knowledge...I felt like the coupon police were going to come after me when I first went in but once I only spent $2.30 on my items, I was hit with a rush and cannot wait to save some more. 


SO, look at what I got for only $2.30 out of pocket (oop):


  DSC_7216 


My Home Ec and 4-H teachers would be oh so proud of me. Here's the lowdown:


The CVS allergy tablets were $3.79 but you get an extra care buck (ECB) of $3.79 back=FREE


The St. Ives was on sale for $2.99 but I had a $2 off coupon from the internet=- $.99


The V-day Cards were $.99 a piece but if you buy 3 American Greetings cards, you got $3 in ECB back=FREE


The Johnson and Johnson Buddies Soaps were $1.19 but I had a $3.00/3 coupon making them $.19 apiece= $.57


The Kleenex is on sale for $.99 and I had a $.25 coupon=$.74


On top of all of that, I got a $5 off on $15 coupon on the bottom of my receipt.  I have $10.58 in ECB to use the next time I go in and I had a $10 ECB that I used on this above transaction so I really saved some moola. 


I had other purchases to make but I needed the Throat Coolers to be in stock (you get one at 4.99 and you get 4.99 back in EC's and I have 5 B1G1 coupons) so once those come in Thursday, I will be back to get them and to use my ECB's earned to buy the Pepsi and Cover Girl deal and I will come home from those purchases with another $13.00in ECB's to use in the future 


The best way to make all these deals happen is to use your ECB on purchasing other items where you get an ECB back, and to of course only buy things you will use or can give away as gifts or as a donation.  There are some great deals out there for free where you can stuff for your favorite charity of choice. 


Here are some resources I have found super helpful:


Money Saving Mom-insight on great deals, lists and links to CVS and Wal Green scenarios and links to printable internet coupons.  She has all kinds of links that will take you to other great resources.


Coupon Mom: Great description of how to save money in her free e-books, excellent message board and she matches up the weekly sales to the coupons in the paper so you can keep track of all this mess easily and she will e-mail them to you based on your store preferences.


Hope this helped get some of you motivated to try your hand at saving a buck!



1 comment: